Sunday, September 2, 2012

Week 1 Reflection


After having had written down my educational philosophy, I feel that self-reflection is going to be much easier.  Now, I can actually identify the different aspects, evaluate them, and make changes without upsetting the entire methodology that I have defined for myself.  Not only will it make deviations from the original philosophy easier, but it will also allow me to expand on any broad ideas and turn them into specific practical instructional outlines.  In short, it helps to streamline my thinking and planning processes concerning education and technology’s place within it.

Concerning Stephen Downes’ article, I believe the potential for blogging with the educational arena to b staggering.  It is very much a viable way to tie in a teacher’s educational goals and a student’s possible interests into a virtual format that does not diminish the poster’s benefit in relating his/her opinions and viewpoints.  Granted many causes for concern revolve around the fact that by requiring a student to blog about more teacher-minded subjects can reduce the benefits they would get out of it, but a happy medium that instills an inherent interest is still possible.  On a broad scale, we have not quite met this potential entirely.  Yes, many schools are allowing teachers to generate class website as hubs for information trading and sharing, but the more independent reign of being able to blog has taken hold.  I personally believe that this is simple due to a lack of awareness to the possible benefits of allowing the students access to a blog within the realm of the school.  It could also be dependent on educators wary of letting students have some much freedom with something that could quite possible cause negative results such as the cases of libel presented in the article.  Time will hopefully tell.

From November’s article, the section concerning the installation of live video cameras within a classroom stood out to me the most.  My reason for choosing this area lays with my own experiences this type of environment.  Currently I work as a gymnastics coach in the city of Richardson and I find that while my boss, the head coach, and the parents are actively watching I find myself constantly critiquing my own methods.  I attempt to see things from the point of view, something that is nearly impossible while safely teaching a four year old how to flip.  Now the difference between my situation and the teacher in this new classroom is the fact that parent can have an active part in the education of their child while not drawing the attention of the teacher away from their lesson.  It is very much like having an extra pair of invisible hands and support for every child during a lesson.  Looking past the constant judging of the parent and perhaps other educators, I can only see this addition helping the teacher to teach better class.

When asked to state my expectations for this class I find that I have none.  This is not because I have no interest in the course, but because I have become so complacent with my place in the world of technology that I no longer have any means to estimate what I’ll get out of this class.  This fact is terribly exciting because that translates into me being able to expect anything and everything.  If the first week is of any measure, I can only expect that this course will be involving, interesting, and informative.  What more could one ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment