Sunday, September 9, 2012

Week 2 Reflection


The first thing that really stood out to me while completing my concept map was the difference in the various organizations’ definition of the words “educational technology”.  It made me realize that even though a group’s goal might coincide with your own their core beliefs could be, and most likely are, different.  From this, I can see the importance of applying your own perspective towards any information you might assimilate.  I also find the research done into determining the plasticity of the human brain quite informative and affecting of the ways we can reach our students.  It gives me added hope and patience towards those students that might prematurely designate negatively or inaccurately.  I can’t even imagine the ways this could affect issues like the identification and classification of educative disorders in students.  This exercise also had me reviewing my information gathering procedures.  I need to see the value in informal sources such as blogs and wikis.  These sites, even though not as dependable, can give great insight on otherwise established concepts.  It’s the fact that those who run these sites have a different way of viewing things that gives it its value.  It really makes me wonder about the amount of information that I’ve ignored throughout my education.  I do feel confident about the information that I have used and learned, but, after being introduced to these new sources of information, I have to say that it appears to be incomplete. 

If we fail to teach our students how to use blogs, wikis, and other educational technology, we risk leaving them unequipped for the future.  It is already apparent that the traditional classroom that I grew up with no longer exists.  Today’s student is given access to a class homepage where much of the course work is available.  Interaction is not longer limited to group assignments that are to be completed in class or at home.  If we do not teach our students how to actively access this new digital classroom, then we limit their ability to participate properly and effectively.  Granted, with our students being born into this digital world and having grown up constantly interacting with it, we might not have much to teach them where technology is concerned.  We do need to help them to direct these natural digital skills towards fruitful pursuits, interactions, and how to determine which and what is true. 

Concerning the use of bookmarking tools, I can see some great advantages to using them to help organize information.  The main advantage that I found in using wikis, my tool of choice, comes from the ease of collecting sources of information and being able to link and categorize them at whim.  I do in fact do the same thing through my browser’s bookmark tool so I feel that there is a certain level of redundancy present.  Although, I do find it helpful to be able to make notations on which link is more apt to answer particular questions.  I can see how using these tools to collect information and direct my future students towards particular paths of study and interests can be beneficial.  It would help to direct my students towards sources of reputable information and away for those which base their information false accounts.  I would also grant my students access to the same knowledge and information that I am privy to when it comes to clarifying an assignment or concept.  I’m most excited to use this tool as a means to assess my students and the progress through their comments and contributions.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment