Sunday, September 16, 2012

Week 3 Reflection


Of the ten principles discussed in Barret’s article concerning assessments for learning, I found myself involuntarily relating to the idea that “AFL” should recognize all types of achievements of all learners.  I believe that this stems from my own unusual experiences during my education.  Looking back, I now see that I was only ever assessed on my progress in reaching the set goals.  If I reached a passable grade then I would simply be advanced to the next set of material.  Everything was terrible concrete without and expanded or critical observations being made.  In other words, my achievements only included those that others found important.  This retrospective has helped me to see the importance of looking beyond the grading rubric and taking into account the originality of everyone in the classroom.

Concerning the potential of portfolio assessment, I feel that its beneficial nature is obvious.  At a glance, it is much like an expanded and intensive version of a blog.  It allows the teacher and student to observe the student’s progress while it occurs.  The actual building of the portfolio allows the student to explore the critical thinking processes needed to rate, change, or improve upon their direction of learning.  Then, if that benefit isn’t enough, the actual adjustment to the collection of work can be used to assess the same skills in an infinite loop of reflection.  As the article over blogging stated, it is the ability to read, write and think while reading, writing, and thinking about what you’ve read, written, and thought.  It is a sliver of control over their education and understanding that a student rarely had before.

Personally, I feel the same way concerning the creation of my own portfolio.  I feel that it will allow me to not only review the information learned, but actually help to form the needed connections between my coursework that will help me retain and explore their potential for growth.  Much like the development of my own educational philosophy helped to clearly define me as a teacher and how I would want to be able to teach, the portfolio lays out a portion of your educational career so that you can relate to and self-assess not progress, but what you define progress as. 

1 comment:

  1. Your comment about your achievements only including what others deemed important is brilliantly put. This is the mindset that we fight; one that we have been programmed to accept throughout our educational journeys. It is strange that we forget that the most brilliant of minds were often the ones that did not fit the mold most accepted.

    ReplyDelete