Sunday, September 30, 2012

Week 5 Reflection(Tech. Project)


As an exploration, more likely a validation, I used November’s MAPping information system to critically assess the DHMO.org site and its validity as an information resource.

Looking at this site’s URL, I only recognized the site’s extension as identifying it as an organization.  Honestly, I usually trust sites that have this marker, but after discovering that it means “any organization” I find myself doubting many of the sources I’ve cited in the past.  That aside, I tested the site’s credibility by reviewing its embedded links and external links which I found using AltaVista and a link command.  Amongst its embedded links were reputable sites belonging to the CDC (Center for Disease Control & Prevention), the Sierra Club, the National Cancer Institute, and the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency).  The links found through AltaVista showed a less convincing picture.  Although there were links from known organizations such as the Public Broadcasting Station, many were links to little known sites or discussion boards.  Many of these included key words such as “spam” or “corrupted scientific findings”.  This does much to destroy any credibility that it might have gained from its embedded links.

Following the exploration of the site’s links, I searched for its main idea through various search engines.  From using Excite, I found that it appears to rely on other search engines’ page indexes for their search results.  Every find was accompanied by which search engine it could be found on.  The results were also listed starting with those which had been sponsored or paid to be listed first.  These included retail sites mostly.  When making the same search on Google, I did not encounter the same sponsored sites.  Instead sites appeared to be listed based on the number of times these particular words had been indexed.  This made for a more unbiased search, but not necessarily unbiased results.  Lastly, I conducted the same search on Yahoo and found a happy medium between my previous searches.  Yahoo did have ads but instead of listing them so that the user had to scroll through them first, the ads were listed alongside the unsponsored keyword based search results.  Those results were eclectic and included every type of extension which led me to make a link-command search of some of its results.  This appears to have some control over placement.  From these different search results, and background information, I can determine that those engines that are independently run offer more unsponsored results that are listed based on relativity and accuracy.  They tend to use keyword searching and link analysis to pick the best results for you to choose from.  This only limits the needed cross-checking of the results for reliability and sadly, doesn’t eliminate them.

Using the Easywhois index, I found that DHMO.org was created by a single person in 1999.  This is 2 years later than its web published creation date.  The bottom of the page has its creation set in 1997.  All in all, an organization created by a single person begs the reconsideration of its validity.  The register address of the publisher is also false.  When searched for, the address is located in Colonia, New Jersey rather than the reported Newark.  Again, this is not nearly as dependable as I would like.

The purpose of this site was to introduce objective information subjectively.  Everything that this site shows is in fact true but spun in such a way that a false, opinionated, and connotatively hilarious meaning takes form.  This brings the site into a more entertainment-based category.  The information of this site has changed very little, but continues to include other links to information that helps to build up this issue into a possibly real problem for those who do not fully explore its background.
This whole experience has really shaken my ability to trust sources of information.  I feel a need to question almost everything that I used to take at face value.  To summarize my response to this activity, I need to check my sources’ sources’ sources.  These tools that I’ve encountered through this journey behind the webpage will to establish what is valid, real, unbiased, and accurate enough to form solid and well established opinions and viewpoints of my own.  I’ve seen beyond that veil of virtual innocence and I do not like that I now have to assume that it simply covers another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment